Prepping for Next Session of the Indiana General Assembly
Those of you who follow the Indianapolis Business Journal may know that I write an occasional column for their ForeFront opinion section. They recently launched a blog that includes contributions from many of their ForeFront contributors. Andrew Downs of the Downs Center for Indiana Politics wrote a post on their blog that discusses the new design of the Indiana General Assembly’s website that is worth your time.
Because Indiana’s legislative session moves at a breakneck pace compared to other state legislatures, it’s important to stay in touch with your senator and representative as issues come up because there may be a limited amount of time to actually share your thoughts on an issue before they are voting on it.
During the course of the legislative session legislators do work hard to make themselves available to the public – most communities have one or more “Third House” sessions which are designed to give citizens a chance to hear from our legislators what is going on in Indianapolis during the course of the session. Also, many public broadcasting outlets have programs where you can interact with legislators during session.
While there are going to be some major issues that dominate the headlines throughout the session, take some time to look through the bills and resolutions that will be up for consideration. A little bit of effort can go a long way to helping your legislator get attention on an issue important to you or your community!
For those of you who want to update your calendars, here is the Legislative Calendar for the 2014 Session:
- Monday, January 6, 2014 -Senators may file only two bills per business day beginning today.
- Friday, January 10, 2014 -Deadline for filing Senate bills
- Fourth Meeting Day in January -Deadline for filing House bills
- Wednesday, February 5, 2014 -Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in Senate
- Tuesday, February 4, 2014 -Last day for Senate to receive House bills
- Monday, February 3, 2014 -Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in House
- Monday, March 3, 2014 -Last day for 3rd reading of Senate bills in House
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014 -Last day for 3rd reading of House bills in the Senate
- Monday, March 3, 2014 -Last day for House adoption of conference committee reports without Rules Committee approval
- Tuesday, March 4, 2014 -Last day for Senate adoption of conference committee reports without Rules Committee approval
- Friday, March 14, 2014 -Last day for adjournment of both houses