One Small Step – Open Item
Good morning. Today is the 20th of July and this is your Open Item.
On this day, 44 years ago, the United States of America took the next step in our history of exploration. 44 years ago today, we landed a man on the moon. Below is a part of the release from NASA on the importance of this day:
“On July 20, 1969, the human race accomplished its single greatest technological achievement of all time when a man first set foot on another celestial body.
Six hours after landing at 4:17 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (with less than 30 seconds fo fuel remaining), Neil A. Armstrong took the “Small Step” into our greater future when he stepped off the Lunar Module, named “Eagle,” onto the surface of the Moon, from which he could look up and see Earth in the heavens as no one had done before him.
He was shortly joined by “Buzz” Aldrin, and the two astronauts spent 21 hours on the lunar surface and returned 46 pounds of lunar rocks. Their liftoff from the surface of the moon was (partially) captured on a TV camera they left behind, and they successfully docked with Michael Collins, patiently orbiting the cold but no longer lifeless moon alone in the Command Module “Columbia.” – NASA
We need to embrace the space program once again. We need to become a species of exploration once again. We need to redouble our efforts to make space exploration a national passion.
In more recent news, we have gotten a lot of feedback from the piece our Managing Editor, Derek Pillie, wrote regarding the Indiana National Committeewoman position. Pillie has updated this post after receiving a call from Congressman Marlin Stutzman’s Chief of Staff.
Don’t forget to vote in the Tweet of the Week competition!
Which of the below is the best Tweet of the Week? (Week ending 7/18/13)
- @ConservaTibbs - Look what I saw at @Target today... #Twinkies are back! --> pic.twitter.com/QbynbUHFTR (36%, 8 Votes)
- @mtgrove - You spelt Barack Obama wrong RT @stefcutter: Mitt Romney STILL can not explain why he wanted to let Detroit go bankrupt . (23%, 5 Votes)
- @politicalmath - @GaltsGirl @JackA2245 Doing a Senate candidate screening. Anyone who hems & haws on a rape question gets acid in the face until they learn. (18%, 4 Votes)
- @jtLOL - I just cut in line at Starbucks. Somebody was like, "Hey," so I explained, "#JusticeForTrayvon!" That shut her right up. (14%, 3 Votes)
- @PeytonsHead - BREAKING: Hispanic man found not guilty in shooting of black man. Sorry Aaron Hernandez. Not talking about you. (9%, 2 Votes)
Total Voters: 22
Did we miss something or do you have something to add? Throw it in the comment section!
This post was tagged under: Indiana Politics